If you live in the UK, you know that the winters here are pretty severe and strategic layering was essential to surviving the elements.
Many women are afraid to layer their clothes for fear of looking bigger than they actually are. While logic would lead one to believe that this claim is true, if you’ve mastered the art of layering this couldn’t be further from the truth. A perfectly layered look will compliment your curves and create the illusion of a more proportional silhouette.
The aim of layering is to look chic and feel comfortable – which is why go-anywhere, sporty styles are oh-so popular. Sticking to one colour head-to-toe creates an elongated silhouette: navy is always going to look elegant; winter white screams luxury; and don’t forget the classic palette of black with a hint of camel. Lush, lightweight fabrics will keep an outfit slinky, prevent overheating and stop you looking like an overladen cricket umpire.
5 Steps to a Perfectly Layered Outfit
- Start with a basic, lightweight top. We suggest a solid, something neutral, or striped.
- Add another layer such as a soft cardigan or sweater. If you’re into color, this can be a great opportunity to mix in a bold knitted jumper to give your outfit more intrigue and depth.
- Then add a jacket or coat. Again, we suggest a basic color: camel, black, navy, or even olive green.
- Next, add a scarf. It’s like the frosting on a cupcake. A must!
- Sprinkle on your accessories (bracelets, rings, watches, hats).
Quick Layering Tips
- Keep the under-layers more fitted to keep your shape looking slim.
- If you’re concerned about your waistline, try to top off your look with something belted.
- Length and proportion is key when layering.
- Play with texture. It’s best to incorporate a mix of materials when styling a layered look. If you use all of the same fabrics, you’re look will come off as heavy and dowdy (which can add the appearance of unwanted weight as well).