The holiday period is one of crazy, festive joy. From December 24th to January 1st, there’s a whirlwind of fun events, family functions, and glamorous parties to attend. In all that excited chaos, two key events stand out as the most prominent of occasions: Christmas and New Year’s Eve. These two occasions, while differing in nature, both demand your best style in the form of a chic outfit to wear. So, whether your holiday plans include a formal dinner and rooftop cocktails or a relaxed lunch and a house-party, be sure to brush up on these styling tips and outfit ideas this celebratory season.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas is almost here again and with it comes magic, joy, happiness, and one inevitable question: “What should I wear?” While ladies generally like to look fabulous every day, Christmas is an occasion that calls for something extra special. Not only does it need to be befitting of the festive celebration, but it also needs to see you through a full day of gift giving, eating way too much food, and catching up with family members of young and old.
When it comes to choosing exactly what to wear for Christmas, remember that balance is the key to a great look. Your aim should be to find a happy medium between festive and stylish, dressy and comfortable, on-trend and classic. One of the easiest ways to do this is by wearing a chic dress with festive accents and accessories. The look is perfect for all types of Christmas events, from Christmas Eve cocktails to Christmas Day family lunch and even Boxing Day dinner with friends. Simply choose a dress that’s classic in style and features a nod to current trends, such as statement sleeves. Then, add in your favourite festive details such as glittering jewellery, pop bag, notes or red, and gold or silver metallic details.
Top Tips for Christmas Dressing
- Consider the location and weather before dressing.
- Make your look festive with colours such as red and gold.
- A dress is a great choice and makes outfit coordination easier.
- Aim for classic with a nod to current trends.
- Jumpers with reindeer and earrings with bells are best reserved for ironic Christmas card photos.
- Save your stilettos for New Years and choose short, comfortable heels instead.
- Finish with stylish accessories and jewellery that add to your festive vibe.
New Year’s Eve Outfits
For the majority of us, New Year’s Eve is the biggest night of the year. Even if we’re not avid party fans, we still love to go out, have a dance and enjoy the company of close friends as the clock ticks over to the new year. As well as being a whole lot of fun, New Year’s Eve is also a great chance to show off your style and get dressed up in some seriously chic threads. No matter if you’re heading to a rooftop cocktail party to watch fireworks, having a romantic dinner and drinks with your other half, showing off your killer dance moves at a nightclub, or simply attending a great house-party with your squad, New Year’s Eve is the time to look your best.
While it may still seem like some time away, New Year’s Eve will undoubtedly be here before we know it, so it’s best to plan your look now. While sequins are a common choice for the special occasion, you needn’t wear them in order to shine. Other textural fabrics, such as lace, velvet, and silk, are all perfect attention-grabbing alternatives. Remember, you want to look chic and a little sexy, so keep your look elegant with excitement in the details. As this occasion is all about celebrating the beginning of a new year, you’ll also want to keep your look modern, but not so modern that you’re soon cringing at photos of yourself on the night! Instead, embrace current trends that continuously go around the fashion cycle, such as feminine lace and sexy, androgynous looks.
Top Tips for New Year’s Eve Dressing
- Check the dress code for your event.
- Keep your look chic with a hint of sexy.
- Have fun with textures and fabrics.
- Let the details become the focus.
- Unless you want to look like a disco ball, don’t go overboard with sequins, embellishments or jewels.
- Make sure you feel comfortable and confident in what you wear.
- Remember to keep your look classy by avoiding sky-high hems and showing too much skin.